21.9.14

Jewellery with a Purpose: the World of Simon Harrison

Cara Delevingne in Vogue Magazine Russia September 2012 wearing the Simon Harrison Aquitaine Necklace

Simon Harrison may not at first ring any bells but perhaps names like Ted Baker, Vivienne Westwood, and Karen Millen are ones that you are more familiar with. If there is only one thing you take away from this entire piece let it be that the world of costume jewellery has never been in better hands than it is with the genius that is Simon Harrison. 

You know the feeling you get when you watch Project Runway and you get to see the garments from beginning to end: the moment they sketch a beautiful design, nail it when they pick the perfect fabric at MOOD, and then send a piece of art down the runway? I got to experience that first hand when I was invited to walk around the Simon Harrison HQ and I'm telling you, I've never been so inspired in my life.

“Simon Harrison’s deepest motivation and enjoyment of jewellery, he says, is intuitive and archetypal; not so very different from primitive man’s impulse to wear a beautiful shell around his neck. Jewellery, he believes, should be life-enhancing: an expression of personality.”

Chloris Tortoiseshell Cream Bangle, inspired by Ovid
A good sign of delicate craftsmanship will always stand out in a piece and it is what I think always makes a piece of jewellery so unique and usually is the reason why I'll buy it. This is what really spoke to me about all of the pieces I saw while visiting the showroom. Each had the most unique details and every piece was calling for me to pick up, try on, play with, and dress up! The other tell-a-tale sign of a quality piece of costume jewellery is the weight, yes I know we are living in a time of delicate necklaces and bracelets but these are costume pieces made to help you make a grand entrance at your next party so believe me when I say these pieces carry some serious weight (which is a good thing). Hand sculpted glass eyes on frog pins and masks are just one of the unique touches that make the pieces true works of art. Each piece felt luxurious and as if it was meant to be worn on a runway, in an editorial, or at a gala. Tres chic! 

Romeo & Juliet 3 Row Pearl Necklace 
I was very lucky to see such amazing pieces, each more beautiful then the next, however it was the stories behind each which really stayed with me after I left the showroom. Inspiration does comes from everywhere and there were tons of great muses from Greek mythology, Shakespeare, and Simon's youth. 

Perhaps one of the standout collections for me was the Romeo and Juliet line. A story I've loved since I was young myself, I was immediately drawn to the pieces and imagined myself wearing the beautiful necklaces around Verona. This is the beauty of each piece: they have the ability to transport you when you see them. That is what I believe true artistry is: these artists have the ability to create pieces that transcend this realm and help you escape from the norm. 






Social Simon:
Twitter: @SimonHarrisonUK
Pinterest: Simon Harrison Jewellery 
Facebook: Simon Harrison Jewellery 
Instagram: SimonHarrisonUK




No comments:

Post a Comment