|Not even half of my "textbooks" • Image via My Instagram|
Apparently, I subscribe to about 6 different magazines. I'm not sure how or when this happened but my mailbox has been stuffed the last two months based on the sheer size of each magazine, hello "BIGGEST ISSUE EVER" InStyle! And who says the publishing industry is dead? Everyone knows September is the largest issue for all magazines, why? I can't really answer that but what makes them the biggest issue? The advertisers' triple page spreads. No one is playing safe here.
|Lesson 1: The Runway Schedule|
So what did I find when I sat down last Saturday with my stack of magazines? One thing is for sure, if you want to look to the runway for trends you need to reverse time and go back two seasons prior, right now all of the Spring Ready To Wear 2014 are showing. Style.com always has you covered. Thats right my friends, Spring showing in Fall, obvious choice, you should have already purchased your Fall 2013 clothes back in June... shame on you! Kidding! Now that we most definitely cannot get away with short skirts in Toronto our brains and cold bodies are ready to wrap ourselves up in chunky cardigans, leather leggings, and soft scarves!
Lesson 2: Collage of Fall Fun
|The Lesson Plan • Images via LouLou, InStyle, Fashion, and Flare|
- The biggest campaign right now: the 3.1 Phillip Lim collection for Target, the ads are everywhere as are those adorable bags. If you were lucky enough to get your hands on any item from the collection, congratulations you are a true fashion collector.
- Up Next: Peter Pilotto for Target, I can't even describe my excitement for this collaboration.
- The PS11 Mini Classic Handbag from Proenza Schouler is one of the most popular bags of the season. It comes in a plethora of colours and the PS11 comes in all sizes: mini, tiny, classic, and chain wallet. Completely different from the PS1 and the PS13, the PS11 is quite simply put: adorable.
- The Givenchy Bambi print!?! For the Fall 2013 Collection Riccardo Tisci decided to swap the ever-so-popular rottweiler print for a more feminine image and I ain't mad about it.
- Skinny heels are everywhere, chunky heels are out (not to be confused with chunky shoes: see Prada, which are very much in). The one in the picture in the middle row, center is from Forever 21, I've also seen some great options from Zara.
- Oversized outerwear was quite popular on the runway
- Style tip: Make sure the frame of the coat fits your body type because you don't want the coat to wear you
- Booties with hardware are in; everything from buckles, ankle straps, and spikes, as long as it is shiny you are in the clear!
- The cat eye is still in and always will be in so you can be thankful you invested in that great liquid liner.
- Have fun with your nail polish, I loved the perfect chaos created by Madeline Poole in the image above (bottom row, center) with brights and black outline using nail art pens and brushes.
- Ear cuffs are back, this I was a bit surprised with. I bought an ear cuff from H&M last fall and have yet to wear it, I thought I had to retire it but thanks to Sienna at the MET Ball ear cuffs and the punk look are definitely back for another run. Anna Wintour is killing herself with the grundge trend, if you watched The September Issue you know how much she detests it and Grace loves it.
- Emerald green was the Pantone Color of the Year for 2013 and every designer ate it right up, so do invest in a great piece that can stand on its own in this most-sought-after shade.
- Pencil skirts are a definite wardrobe staple this Fall and they can be worn in any colour or pattern and length. Which is great for the office.
- Style tip: You can add a leather crop jacket and a logo tee to bring the look from day to night.
Lesson 3: The Biggest Styles for Fall 2013
- Punk (see Versace)
- Menswear Fabrics (see Lanvin)
The most important thing to remember when shopping this season: if it looks good buy it!